This wonderful bread served with smoked pork belly is perfect for snacking on at the start of a relaxed weekend lunch.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Raising time: 2 hours
- 75g boucane (smoked pork belly)
- 125g flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 125g fine semolina
- 10g fresh bakerâ€™s yeast
- olive oil for brushing
- 5g salt
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Cut off the rind from the boucane, then finely dice the meat. Cook it in boiling water for 20 minutes, then drain.
- In a salad bowl, gather all the ingredients except the salt and boucane. Knead by hand for 8 minutes. Add the salt and boucane, knead for 2 more minutes.
- Divide this dough into 2 equal-sized balls. Roll out each one separately in an oval shape, about 15cm long and 5cm wide. Lay each fougasse on a biscuit sheet, cut 3 diagonal slits into each one with a sharp knife, and let them rest for 2 hours at room temperature. They should double in size.
- Bake the fougasses for about 20 minutes in the oven. Take them out of the oven and brush them with olive oil.